I love the following recipe. It’s simple, dairy free, and absolutely wonderful! If you’ve missed out on hot cocoa because you’re dairy free, miss out no more! Pick a cold day (or not), mix up a mug and drink without regret. I call it my Hot Cocoa Happy Place.
Hot Cocoa Happy Place
For a 6 oz. mug, use the following proportions as a guide:
- 2 Tablespoons of coconut milk powder (I use Native Forest brand - available on Amazon)
- Scant Tablespoon of raw Cacao powder (I use Viva Labs - also available on Amazon)
- Sweetener of choice - liquid stevia or coconut sugar*
- Boiling water
- Place coconut milk powder, cacao powder and sweetener in cup
- Pour in a small amount of boiling water and stir to make a paste (it mixes easier this way) Fill the rest of the cut with water and stir well to mix
*I typically use coconut sugar though liquid stevia works really well. You might want to try peppermint flavored liquid stevia for a change of pace. Experiment with different natural sweeteners and see what works for you. Go light on the sweetener, though and enjoy the taste of raw cacao!
Holy cow, that’s it! Time to cozy up to a fire or slip under a quilt and enjoy!
Note: Play with the proportions of coconut milk powder and cacao powder, depending on your taste preference and the size of your cup.
Hugs and good health,